In preparation for a class I am teaching in August, I made a new stencil today. The class will cover using stencils and different kinds of stamps on fabric. Week two of the class will be all about stencil making, including places to look for inspiration. For this design I was inspired by a photograph I took a few years ago in Barcelona of the painted ceiling in the house located in Parc Guell. I used the stencil on a pair of 8 year old pillowcases, giving them a whole new look!
First, I made a sketch from the ceiling painting. Next, the sketch was scanned into the computer, and then scaled down to the size I wanted for the pillow case project. The design was printed on inkjet glossy photo paper... then the tedious cutting began. Using both scissors and a rather dull exact-o knife, this process took a good long while.
I mixed up a combo of Plaid fabric paints I've had laying about since 1997 to create the shiny bronze color. The photo paper stencil worked well, especially when you consider the size and detail of the design, the stencil shown above is only a 5 inch square. I am hoping it all holds up in the wash. I like the new look!