Friday, April 15, 2011

Kitty Birthday Party!

Check out the Ultimate Birthday Party Game Guide! 

      Baby Girl decided on a Kitty Birthday party shortly after Christmas, which left plenty of time to plan for an April Birthday Party!  We started with Kitty invitations, made by yours truly.  Unfortunately all but one invitation never left the house and in the end we just let people know about the party over the phone...sad, but true.  
Party Invitations
The Birthday Banner!
Birthday Banner
"4"
       Three years ago I decided to make a birthday banner we could use for every birthday party.  Each year, for each child I add a new piece to the banner with the child's hand print and age.  I add the new piece to the center of the banner, and previous years to the ends of the banner.  It is a great way to look back on how much they have grown and recall fond memories of birthday's past.  

Welcome to the Kitty Party! 

       As children arrived to the main event I handed out Kitty ears I had made by gluing felt to a headband.  I had a little table set up for the kids to make cat and mouse party blowers.  I pre-cut a cat shape out of construction paper, and a tiny mouse shape.  Kids decorated the cat and then attached the cat to the party blower.  I then taped a little mouse to the end of the blower so the cat could "catch" the mouse.  


Birthday Girl with Kitty Ears!

Friends Making Kitty Party Blowers
Kitty Snacks!

We had a lunch time party, so while we were waiting on the Grill Master to do what he does best, there were Cat themed snacks out on the table.

No-bake Peanut Butter Cookie Mice
In a food processor place:
            2 Cups Old Fashion Oats
No-Bake Peanut Butter Cookie Mice
            2 Cups Shredded Coconut ( I used the finely shredded stuff with not added sugar)
            1 teaspoon cinnamon
            Pinch of salt
            Pinch of cloves
Thoroughly pulverize. 
Then add:
            1 ½ Cup Creamy (organic) Peanut Butter
            1/3 Cup Honey
Mix well.
Shape into little mouse shapes and then add roasted almond ears, chocolate chip noses, and a licorice tail.
This recipe makes about 30 mice.  They were a BIG hit!

Kitty Litter and Fish Bowl

Kitty Litter
Found this idea somewhere else online during the planning phase, but developed my own less sugar ridden recipe:
            28 oz. Roasted Sunflower Seeds
            1- 12 oz. bag of Chocolate Chips
            8oz. of Raisins
Unfortunately none of the children knew anything about the joys of having an indoor cat, but they enjoyed the mix none the less. 

Fish Bowl
Just a bowl of fish crackers, would have been cuter if it had been in a real fish bowl, but this solution was more cost effective.  









Party Games!
      I kept the games pretty simple.  We had a good mix of kids, ranging in age from 2 to 9 ½ .  We invented a game of cat and mouse where I pinned paper mouse tails to all the children with clothespins.  I was the cat.  They had to run from the cat and when the cat pulled off their paper tail, they got to join the cat in chasing all of the other mice.  This was a lot of fun, but I did not count on how FAST children can run and how NOT FAST I can run! 
      The second game we played was Pin the Tail on the Cat.  I made a fancy wall hanging for the cat and it doubled as a party decorations before we played the game.  A few years ago I learned this trick from a friend:  have the children draw numbers out of a hat to see who goes first and so on. This really cuts down on the "ME FIRST!"  

Birthday Girl in Action
Pin the Tail on the Cat






































The Kitty Cake!
       After games we had a lovely lunch.  I did not get an action shot of the Grill Master at work, but rest assured he did create a master piece!
      After lunch it was time for cake.  Baby Girl requested a strawberry cake with chocolate frosting.  I made a 9x13" cake and then cut it up and pieced it back together in the shape of a Kitty.  Most of the children just licked the icing off the cake, but I heard from adult sources the cake was good, too.  
Kitty Cake

Party Favors!
      For Parting gifts my daughter wanted to give play dough to her young friends, and comic books to the older kids.  A few days before the party my daughter and I made 3 batches of homemade play dough.  We have an excellent recipe, but I think I will make it a separate post!
All Partied Out!
 Very fun day!  The birthday girl had a great time, but was exhausted by the end of it all!

Check out the Ultimate Birthday Party Game Guide! 

4 comments:

  1. So fantastic. Loved this post. Great idea for a party and those no-bake mice, brilliant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ivy! Very satisfying eating little mice :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for posting! I had to share with several friends...so many wonderful ideas packed into this blog! You're so creative. :)

    ReplyDelete